Tuesday 31 May 2011

Follow that River - Again


Suoloyuopmia – Kautokeino   80kms  1012’ of ascent
Today was going to be a long day and I was under the misapprehension that we had already reached the high point of this particular plateau. The weather was sunny with blue skies with some wind, as ever, blowing in the wrong direction. After some 20 kms we were ready for our morning coffee. Having found the only café between Suoloyuopmia and Kautokeino shut I hunted out the flask while Alan perused an information board.
“Did you know that the river Alta is 200 kms long and runs from Kautokeino to Alta?”
Now I am not a genius but even I could understand the significance of this casual comment i.e. rivers run downhill and we were riding to its source! Not only that, the wind was increasing in strength (gusting 35 knots) and blowing downriver and straight into our faces. It was a long day. Need I say more.

2 comments:

  1. Hooray! I think I have done it! Your Blogs are brilliant. Will now try to send some comments. x

    ReplyDelete